January 9, 2010

Portobello Parmigiana


One of the things I love most about San Francisco is its shopping. The San Francisco Shopping Center (Westfield mall) and Union Square both were just 10 minutes walking distance from my school. During the first semester of my second year, I had just 1 class at 8:30am on Friday that ends at 9:30am. Every Friday after class I would walk to the shopping district and window shop. I love shopping alone, because you don't have to worry about other people waiting. I miss those Fridays.

So at the downstairs food court of the San Francisco Shopping Center, there is a supermarket, Bristol Farm. It sells a bit higher-end groceries than your normal Safeway. It also sells ready-to-eat foods such as pasta, sushi, pizza, sandich, Chinese food, rice, and noodle. They are sold by the weight. There weren't too much options for vegetarians as most of food there were meat. However, twice I treated myself to eat there. I just love their portobello parmigiana. After moving out of San Francisco, I decided that I would try to replicate this dish.

My version of Portobello Parmigiana

2 Large or 4 small portobello mushroom
Some Spinach
1 Egg
Some mozzarella cheese
Some freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Pour some olive oil in a saute pan.
Saute the spinach until soft, add salt and pepper to taste.
Add the egg until cooked.
Pour into a plate and set aside.
Add some water to the pan, and simmer the portobello mushrooms for about 5 minutes.
Take out the mushrooms and put some mozzarella on top and some Parmesan cheese.
Add the spinach/egg on top of the cheese, then add more mozzarella and Parmesan on top.
Baked at 350F for about 7 minutes.

1 comment: