April 1, 2010

Financier


I just love the looks of French pastries-madeleines, macarons, eclairs..just to name a few. French pastries are elegant, fancy, and absolutely complicated to make, which is probably why they are so intriguing to me. I love new challenges to find recipes that are "gift-worthy." I love tiny and fancy things as opposed to bulky and plain -- talking purely about aesthetic. The recipe I'm presenting here today is called Financier. Financiers are little French teacakes with an almondy flair. They are mostly baked in small rectangular molds that shaped like bars of gold.


Financier
 (from Epicurious) ** the recipe below is 1/3 of the original

1/2 tbsp of unsalted butter, melted, for buttering 8 financier molds
47 g finely ground almonds
60 confectioners sugar (still a bit too sweet, may modify it in the future)
23g unbleached all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
3 egg whites
61g unsalted butter, melted and cooled

2 comments:

  1. Deb these look lovely! I wish I had a pretty financier pan instead of my boring cupcake molds. =) I have one suggestion ~ I usually make mine with brown butter rather than just plain melted butter. Really brings a nutty caramelized flavor to the cake.

    ReplyDelete