February 15, 2011

Apfelstrudel: German Apple Strudel


Uff. I want to say sorry to my apple strudel because my dreadful camera skill is not doing any justice to my baking. I guarantee you this is a lot more appetizing than it appears. And that's not meat in my strudel... So my love for all things Deutschland continues. I'm learning the language as well, piano piano as the Italians would say. I came across this recipe many months ago on tastespotting, and have wanted to try it out for a while. I'm not usually a fan of baked fruits, especially pies..yucks, but I am more forgiving when it comes to apples. Or maybe it was the puff pastry that appealed to me, or the fact that it is German. In any case, I was glad to have made this dessert as it is not too sweet, and very delicious.

Oh, and by the way, Happy Valentine's Day.  I am getting a fantastic present from myself, and I'm constantly checking the UPS tracking... it is supposed to be delivered on the 23rd!




Apple Strudel
(adapted from Beyond Kimchi)

 
*makes two logs

1 package of puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed in room temperature
2-3 baking apples (I used fuji)
1/2tsp cinnamon
2Tb whit sugar
2Tb flour
1/2C chopped or ground nuts, walnut or almond
3Tb light brown sugar
2Tb white sugar (I omitted that)
2Tb bread crumbs
1 egg with 1tsp water beaten for brushing 
Preheat you oven to 375ºF.
Peel, core, and chop apples into 1/2" cubes. You will need total 2 cups of chopped apples.
Place them in a bowl and add cinnamon, white sugar, and flour. Set aside for 20 minutes so they can release the juices. 

In another bowl combine nuts, sugars, and bread crumbs. Set aside.

Roll out one sheet of pastry into about 10"x12". Sprinkle 1/2 of nut mixture on the pastry covering halfway and place 1/2 of apples on top. Lift up the front side of pastry and cover the apple and start rolling all the way. Finish the other sheet in the same method. 
Pinch the ends of each logs and tuck under. Transfer them on to baking sheet with parchment paper on it, seam side down.
Brush the top with egg wash. Make a few slits on top for the steam to escape.
Bake at 375F for 40-45 minutes until the crust gets nicely golden brown.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and/or whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment