January 8, 2011

Dinner: Stir-fry lamb with ginger, scallion, and onion


First, I'd like to say, I'm very disappointed in my photos. I think the photo quality of my posts just decreases post after post. I partly blame it on the lack of sunlight, and partly on my own lack of skill. I've tried building a mini photo studio before, and sadly my cardboard box studio was accidentally broken by my cousin shortly after. I hope you all still find my food appetizing though!



I think I mentioned before that I don't know how to cook Asian cuisine at all. I didn't grow up with a mom who knows how to cook. My mom hates being in the kitchen and thinks it's a waste of time cooking. In fact, I can't tell you what kind of food I ate at home prior to me taking over the cooking task... Actually, "taking over" is not the right term, since she wasn't doing it before...the correct term should be.. since "someone " starts to cook in this household. Everything I know, I learned from my fellow bloggers. And today I present you my first attempt at lamb.

Stir-fry Lamb with Ginger, Scallion, and Onion
(recipe adapted from Taste of Home)


16 slices of thinly sliced lamb (can be found in most Asian grocery stores) - lightly marinated in light soy sauce
4 stalks scallions/ green onions, sliced lengthwise (save some for garnish)
5 cloves garlic, minced

Seasoning: (as always, do a taste test and add more sugar or soy if needed)

1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp oyster sauce
2 tbsps Chinese Shaoxing Wine (Chinese Rice Wine)
2 tsps sugar
1 tsp mirin (optional)
1 tbsp water
Drop of sesame oil
Dash of white pepper
1 tsp cornstarch mixed in 1 tbsp water
Optional-- half of a large Spanish onion

Method:

Firstly, heat about 2 tbsps of cooking oil in your wok.  Once hot, turn heat to medium-low and saute garlic, ginger and scallions (and onion) till aromatic.  Add the lamb slices into your wok and stir-fry around till almost cooked.

Meanwhile, mix the seasoning ingredients in a bowl (excluding the corn starch mixture).  Turn heat till high again, and pour in the mixture.  Stir-fry around until most of the water has evaporated.  Stir in the cornstarch mixture.  Mix well to coat.  Dish up and garnish with remaining scallions.  Serve hot with steamed rice.


Cooking note: I really liked this dish, and the flavor is restaurant comparable. However, next time I'm going to eliminate the sugar because onions provide sweetness already.

No comments:

Post a Comment